Thursday, January 24, 2013

The First Place I Lived in Austin

SIDNEY HENRY FROST
1908 -- 2001

My father, Sidney Henry Frost, is listed as a roomer living at 304 ½ West 9th Street in Austin, Texas on the census report taken on April 11, 1930. According to the report, he was twenty-one years old and single. He was shown to be a barber who owned his own shop.

There were three other people at the same address. One was Mable Lewis, a thirty-two year old single female press feeder at a print shop. The other two were the owners of the $6,500 home, thirty year old Paul and his twenty-four year old wife Moselle Warren. Paul, a shoe store salesman was from Kansas, with parents from Oklahoma. All the others were from Texas with Texas parents.

My mother, Eva Lee Williams, was shown on the April 21, 1930 census to be living in Lampasas, Texas, living with her parents, two sisters, a brother and an aunt. She may have been in nursing school by then, however.


EVA LEE WILLIAMS FROST
1908 -- 2001
Dad's residence was close to where my parents lived when I was born, 1409 W. 10th Street in Austin. Since I had to get a secret clearance once and had to report all places I lived I asked my parents and was told that I lived there until the next year. I have no memory of the time, of course, nor do I remember the next house, 909 West Lynn Street. 

The first house I remember is located at 1004 Eason Street. I was there for the 1940 Census. The report, dated April 9, 1940, shows that I was three years old and my sister Barbara Ann was six years old. Dad was thirty-one and Mom was thirty. According to the census report, we had a boarder. It is hard to read the handwriting, but I think her name was Lurline Smith, a forty-year-old secretary for a Baptist Church. I remember her and I have many other memories about living at this place and I'll tell you about them in future articles. 

All of these places were close to each other. We moved one more time in the Clarksville area before moving to South Austin. I'll tell you about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment